Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Nokia 5233 or, 5230 - Real value for money.

In this article I will review the latest mobile I bought and will compare with the phone, which I thought of buying!

How I opted for Nokia 5233

I was really impressed by the look and the features of Nokia 5800 express music. The screen resolution, size of the screen, camera and the video camera capability and of course the nicest touch screen I have seen. I experienced these all from the mobile of one of my friends and he was also very satisfied with the phone. After all Nokia is Nokia!

The price however was a real factor, which was going against. I was absolutely unwilling to spend INR 13500 for a mobile phone! I started searching the different websites mainly Samsung and LG. Feature wise they also have good phones but all of them were costly. I was not in a mood of spending more than INR 10000 for a phone. Samsung Corby and Corby pro could have been a good choice. Somehow I don’t like Samsung Mobile phones and moreover none of them come even closer to Nokia 5800.


Suddenly from Nokia site I found there models 5230 and 5233. They look same as 5800. Nokia site don’t give the price. So I searched E bay for the price. It was a pleasant surprise for me. Both of them are below INR 10000. My next step was to search Nokia site and compare these three models with their modules. I really got impressed with both 5230 and 5233. Surprisingly their screen resoulution is higher than Nokia 5800 express music! 5230 was little costlier as it is both CDMA and GSM capable. Luckily enough I have GSM connection, so the next day I bought Nokia 5233from E zone in Pantaloon outlet at a price INR 7380!

Now what is the difference between Nokia 5233 and the 5800?

In Nokia 5233 you won’t get:

1. 3G connectivity: Is it really required in present scenario?
2. No secondary camera: No need unless you and the person you are calling have 3G connection!
3. The camera is 2 megapixels and not 3.1 as in 5800: Again If the lens is good 2 MP is more than enough for a mobile. I have DSLR for my photographic venture
4. You won’t get LED flash in 5233: Again how often it will be necessary? Though a very good feature; is it wise to give almost double the price?
5. You won’t get wifi in 5233: How often I will be near a wifi signal, which I can access. For surfing and email GPRS is enough for a mobile in present situation.
6. Only one external speaker. 5800 has 2: I don’t need. I use my headphones.

My experience with Nokia 5233 express music:
Before starting the review I must confess that I have used this for only 5 days. So I have yet to use many features. As expected from Nokia, this phone is very user friendly. I didn't have to through the manual before using this phone. Switching the contacts, notes and calendar from my previous Nokia 5300 was very quick. This phone doesn’t come with memory card and sadly enough (?) with USB cable. The query is because if Nokia raise the price by INR 1000 for the USB cable, which is the price of a genuine Nokia cable, it is better not to include. You can get these cables around INR 200 in local market. Same holds true for the memory card.
While connecting web from laptop through Nokia 5233, my laptop didn’t install modem. I had to uninstall my old Nokia PC suite and download and install the OVI suite. Then everything was swift . I never expected it will be so simple!
I am really satisfied with the camera and the screen. It really takes very good still snaps. It has many settings, which you can control. Interestingly the exposures! My disappointment for not having the LED flash has reduced to some extent.
Video shoot is also very impressive. It also has many settings, that you can control. It shoots in 640X400 resolution and even in wide screen format. I have seen the clippings in my 42” LCD TV and never expected such quality from a mobile phone. Only problem is it digital zoom . It is jerky.
Play back of music and video is also great. As this model has only one speaker the quality of sound in speakers are not as great as 5800 but no problem when I use my head phones. Viewing video files is really a pleasure in such wide screen. I can just say see it to believe it. LG enV Touch VX11000 Phone, Black (Verizon Wireless)

P.S I am posting this article while traveling on train from my laptop and GPRS through my Nokia 5233 Airtel connection.


Bidhere.com